exhibitions at the Lewis
juried high school art Exhibition
The 2022 Reginald F. Lewis Museum High School Juried Art Show
Maryland students from all 24 school districts are eligible to submit artwork for the annual Reginald F. Lewis Museum High School Juried Art Show. Selected works will be exhibited at the Reginald F. Lewis Museum in Baltimore, Maryland from January 31, 2022 to May 8, 2022. Grades 10 – 12 can submit drawings, photos, paintings, prints and mixed-media assemblages. The deadline for students to register is Monday, October 25, 2021. Students and/or teachers should electronically submit a jpg image of the student’s artwork by Friday, November 19, 2021 for judging. This student exhibition is in partnership with the Maryland State Education Association (MSEA). For further details contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Artistic Theme: Change Makers Past and Present
This year’s show is inspired by the museum’s upcoming exhibition, Men of Change: Power. Triumph. Truth, highlighting men—including Muhammad Ali, James Baldwin, Ta-Nehisi Coates, W.E.B Du Bois and Kendrick Lamar—whose journeys have altered the history and culture of the country through politics, sports, science, entertainment, business and religion.
The achievements of the men are situated within the legacy and traditions of the African American journey — achievements of excellence in spite of society’s barriers. The men’s names are insinuated in a landscape of names and faces all echoing the story of becoming your best self. Students are tasked to create artwork representing change makers in politics, sports, science, entertainment, business, religion and education. Artwork can include painting, sculpture, photography, and video art.
Cash prizes will be awarded to students who receive top honors for their works.
1st Place – $400.00
2nd Place – $200.00
3rd Place – $ 100.00
A virtual or hybrid program to commemorate the winners will take place during the museum’s Annual MLK Holiday festivities (Jan 16th- Jan 17th). The time for the virtual/hybrid program will be announced at a later date.
General Guidelines: Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or need an extension.
To participate in the show please complete the online registration form by October 25, 2021. Google Registration Form
- Schools can submit a total of 25 pieces of fine art work per school. All art work must be two dimensional or “low relief.” Student art submissions can include collages, drawings, paintings, prints, photographs, lithographs and mixed‐media assemblages.
- Submission: For the judging, students or teachers must submit a jpg image (4 MG or 300 DPI max) of the artwork, art label and a video recording (1-3 minutes) describing their inspiration for the work. Video files should be recorded in a .MP4 format. Please upload your files by completing the online art label form by Friday, November 19, 2021. Both files should be saved under the following format:
Last Name_First Name_Artwork_Date Submitted
Last Name_First Name_ Video_Date Submitted
- VIDEO ARTIST STATEMENT: Please record an artist statement describing the art work and your motivation for creating this work. Include your name, grade, school, title of the work and the medium used for the artwork in your video recording.
- Copyright Use: Any copyrighted or appropriated image must be altered from its original or previous format in composition and intent. Although we discourage use of copyrighted images, we understand that in collage or digital material they may be necessary and appropriate. The committee reserves the right to jury out work that includes imagery inappropriate for a school audience.
- Notification:All schools will be notified by Monday, December 21, 2021 about artworks juried into the show. Please include all contact information on the registration forms.