- This event has passed.
Live @ the Lewis with WEAA Radio – Dear Mama: Tupac’s Homage to Black Mothers
September 15, 2021
This program begins at 2 pm.
Patrons can meet us onsite at the Lewis Museum to see this live on-air show. Note: This program will also be live-streamed on WEAA and Lewis Museum’s Facebook page as well as on 88.9 FM WEAA radio station.
Join the Reginald F. Lewis Museum and WEAA’s Today with Dr. Kaye Radio Show in a live on-air discussion of Tupac’s iconic hip-hop song Dear Mama. This program will include a panel talk with Black mother activists and Black sons discussing their special relationship surviving turbulent times. The first segment will include a conversation analyzing Tupac’s lyrics with Dr. Jeff Menzise, professor of clinical psychology at Morgan State University and Jamilah Barnes of Tupac Amaru Shakur Foundation.
In the second segment Dr. Kaye Whitehead will interview Black mothers and sons to include:
- Cheryl Waters-Hassan, mother of Ta-Nehsi Coates and friend of a young Tupac
- Kimberly Armstrong an advocate on youth violence
- Dr. David Fakunle and Deborah Pierce Fakunle, co- founders of DiscoverME/RecoverME, an organization that utilizes the African oral tradition to encourage the claiming of one’s narrative for personal and organizational growth.
- Baltimore Beat Journalist Lisa Snowden McCray
- Charmayne Turner, Director of School Partnerships, Y of Central Maryland
Let us know you’re coming by registering Here.
This program is in partnership with Tupac Shakur Commemoration Week in Baltimore, MD (Sept 14 – Sept 17). For additional Tupac events, CLICK HERE.